August 2017 Hits, Misses, and Pans

Favorites, rejects, and panned products for the month of August.  Spoiler alert: I hit pan on nothing!  I did finish up a few things, and those are going to count.  I don't have enough for a separate empties post.

Hits:



  • CHS Curl Keeper.  I've been sandwiching it in between Kenra CC cream and the GVP version of Kenra volumizing mousse.  I generally save this for humidity because if you use glycerin in your hair in a dry climate, you might have regrets.  Glycerin draws moisture from the air and if there's no moisture in the air, it draws it from your hair instead.  But so far, so good.  Curl Keeper ingredients: Water/Eua, VP/VA Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Laureth-23, Glycerin, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance/Parfum, Polyquaternium-10


Misses:

  • Perfectly Posh Sunny and Share Coconut Oil.  Purchased before I was into respecting my allergies.  I thought I'd already purged allergenic products from my collection, and didn't re-read the label when I decided to try to finish it off as a makeup remover.  So I was slapping allergenic oil on my face every night for around two weeks.  By the end, my jawline was red and bumpy, and I had a chin zit.  The problematic ingredient for me is the sunflower oil.  Possible other allergenic ingredients are the tocopherol (usually soy-based) and rosemary (in the same family as sage, which I'm allergic to -- I don't know about rosemary though).  I for sure react to sunflower oil.  Pure coconut oil is totally fine for me.  I will just stick with that.  Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil Fragrance/Parfum Tocopherol Tocopheryl Acetate Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil
  • Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Hydrating Toner.  Technically my kid's but I've been borrowing it for a good couple of months.  What's it doing for me?  I have no idea.  I have a lot of plant allergies and some people say witch hazel is irritating.  I have a rash from sunflower oil.  I decided it's a fine time to quit this pointless product.  Even if it's not irritating my skin, I can't see any positive effects.  Bye.


Pans (or empties, this round):

  • Finally finished off a free sample of Lancome Drama Liqui-Pencil in some shade of bright purple.  Maybe Ampoule?  I liked this eyeliner.  It blended well, but then set and didn't budge.  With my teary eyes, that matters.  I would possibly buy it.  I liked how it wore, and I'm not allergic to it.  Ingredients: Rimethylsiloxysilicate, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Synthetic Wax, Hydrogenated Polydicyclopentadiene, C20-40 Alcohols, Nylon-611/Dimethicone Copolymer, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Polyethylene, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Silica, Alumina, Propyl Carbonate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate.
  • Milani Make It Last setting spray.  New holy grail setting spray.  I like it better than Urban Decay All-Nighter.  Slightly difficult to find in a store, but I've purchased three bottles at CVS so far, using a 25% off coupon every time.
  • Neutrogena makeup remover wipes.  I've gone through so many bulk boxes of these!  I get them at Costco.  They actually take everything off.  Really good for when you're on the verge of being too tired to take your makeup off.  Have repurchased many times and will probably buy again.  Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Isostearyl Palmitate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Hexylene Glycol, PEG-4 Laurate, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Sucrose Cocoate, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (EU 1279)
  • Ulta brand Waterproof Eye & Lip Makeup Remover.  Bought these as part of a B2G2 sale.  I usually have one open in the bathroom for general makeup removal, and one open in my bedroom (where I do makeup) for cleaning up eye makeup fallout.  It's a good makeup remover.  I feel like I have to work a little hard to get my gel liner and mascara off but it takes off everything else very easily.  May repurchase.  May try to find something a little stronger.  Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Chloride, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Red 40 (CI 16035).
  • SheaMoisture Baobab Oil.  Finished a whole bottle and didn't see it doing anything exciting.  I don't think I'm allergic to it, but it did nothing for my skin or hair that coconut oil doesn't do better.  I'm not a huge fan of the pump.  It's hard to get the oil out once you've used about half the bottle.  You have to unscrew the pump, which doesn't lay flat anywhere while you use it. That's annoying.  Would have preferred a plain cap or maybe a flip top.

That's it for August.  What have you been loving or hating this month?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depotting: Urban Decay Heavy Metals, BH Cosmetics Zodiac, Besame Snow White, Urban Decay Electric

December 2017 Hits, Misses, & Pans

Everyday Red Look